This virtual meeting will use Meetecho as the main platform for remote participation. All sessions will use this platform and as an attendee, you will be able to chat and ask questions, both in writing and by using your microphone.
You can also follow sessions on our livestream on the RIPE 82 website or on YouTube. Chat will not be available for either of these livestreams. Chat and Q&As are available only on Meetecho.
Here’s a quick guide to how you can register, view presentations, ask questions and interact with other participants.
As always in a virtual environment, we recommend using a headset for better audio quality and, if you need to use your camera, to ensure good lighting for better quality video.
- How to Register
- How to View Presentations
- How to Use Meetecho
- How to Ask a Question
- How to Network
- How to Check In
How to Register
A few days before the meeting, you will receive an email that contains your unique link to connect to Meetecho. This link is unique to you and you can use the same link all week long to access all the RIPE 82 sessions. Please bookmark or save this link for easy access.
Important: The first name and last name that you register with will be displayed when you connect to Meetecho using your unique link. If at any time you want to change the name used on your registration, please email meeting [at] ripe [dot] net.
The profile picture displayed in Meetecho is taken from the Gravatar service based on the email used during the registration process (if available). If you want to change the picture and/or remove it, you will have to do that in Gravatar directly.
How to View Presentations
You can view all the sessions and participate using Meetecho. Alternatively, you can also follow the livestream on the RIPE 82 website, however you cannot ask questions or join the chat. Chat and Q&A are available on Meetecho only.
New at RIPE 82: You will also be able to follow the livestream on YouTube!
You can keep track of the sessions by using the Meeting Plan. The Meeting Plan is dynamic, simply click on a session to view information. Please note that the times are all in UTC+2.
How to Use Meetecho
By clicking on your unique link, you will enter the platform as a ‘Participant’ with the name entered during registration. There is no client to install. Meetecho can be used directly on any desktop WebRTC-enabled web browser. Many Meetecho features are available on mobile browsers that support WebRTC but a mobile-friendly user interface is still in development and screen sharing is not supported on mobile devices.
You can also leave the meeting at any time and join it again later by using the same link received by email.
The platform will allow you to:
- View the presentations
- View the live transcription
- Use the chat (also to send 1:1 messages)
- Ask questions using the microphone
- Ask questions in writing
- Participate in Polls
Please avoid using Safari to run Meetecho as far as possible as some features might not function as expected.
New at RIPE 82: Based on the feedback received after RIPE 81, we have added some new features to Meetecho:
- The Q&A is now a part of the Meetecho platform (Slido integration is no longer required)
- An agenda window linked to the RIPE 82 website is available
- All windows can be detached
- You can use a search box to search for participants
- Emojis are now available
- You can ask a question using video
Further, the RIPE Meeting tech team will be available in a separate Meetecho room during meeting hours to troubleshoot or debug any issues attendees might experience with the platform.
We recommend reading the Meetecho Guide for additional details about:
- Specific browsers and extensions
- Participant’s interface and controls
- Chat functionality
How to Ask a Question
There are two ways to ask questions at RIPE 82:
- Virtual Mic: Request the floor by clicking on the microphone or camera icon. The session chair will grant you audio and/or video at the right moment, so you can ask your question and/or make a comment. Remember to mute your microphone and disable your video (if applicable) after asking the question to avoid interference from background noise. Always state your name and affiliation before asking a question.
- Q&A: If you prefer to ask your question in writing, click the Q&A icon in the menu bar and then click the ‘Ask’ button to write a question. The session chair will read your question out loud when the time is right.
You need to register for the meeting and use the Meetecho platform to ask questions. You will receive a unique link to access Meetecho via email. The chat facility will not be provided on the livestream or on Youtube.
How to Network
You might not be meeting your fellow attendees in person, but you can still network effectively:
- SpatialChat: This is the virtual coffee break area and where all the RIPE 82 social events will take place. It’s open for a full week from the Friday before the meeting until Friday, 21 May and it is available exclusively for RIPE 82 attendees.
More information about SpatialChat will be available closer to the meeting date.
- The RIPE Networking app: You can schedule meetings with fellow attendees on the app, exchange messages and meet them virtually on the platform of your choice. More information about the RIPE Networking app.
- Attendee list: View the list of attendees who’ve agreed to share their contact details here. You need to have a RIPE NCC Access account to contact them. The list will show a green tick mark next to the names of the people who have checked themselves in at the meeting. The check in option is available during the meeting week on your personal registration page.
Any contact details shared are intended to enhance networking opportunities between attendees and should not be used for commercial purposes.
How to Check In
You can ‘check in’ for RIPE 82 via your registration page. The check in option is available during the meeting week. Use your unique link received via email to go to your registration page and select the check in option. The attendee list shows all checked-in attendees with a green check mark next to their names.
Please note that only checked-in attendees are eligible to vote in the NRO NC election. Make sure to check in before the voting registration deadline Thursday, 20 May at 18:00 (UTC+2).
If you have any questions about participating remotely, please reach out to us on meeting [at] ripe [dot] net